Sunday, June 29, 2008

Giants Notes for the Day

In the late afternoon NFL Network was showing a replay of the Giants vs. Pats Week 17 showdown. Some things I noticed from that game that I didn't notice when I attended it..
Gerris Wilkinson is a pretty good LB. Some people are worried about the loss of Reggie Torbor and Kavika Mitchell at OLB. Wilkinson had tight coverage against Randy Moss and had a pass broken up against him in the end zone, even though it hit off of his helmet, but none the less he showed me some cover skills. He has played on special teams and always seemed to be in there making plays. I look to see him contribute and possibly start.
Watching this game made me remember the atmosphere in East Rutherford on that actually mild December night, it reminded me of how great Giants fans are. It seemed like a playoff atmosphere even though Big Blue had nothing to play for. I have said this before, but maybe 20-30 years from now Tom Coughlin's move to play everyone and try and win will go down as the greatest coaching move in the history of sports. They went from playing mediocre, inconsistent football to consistent and almost turnover free football.
Some other notes..
The GMEN have had some guys who need some cheese with their wine. Seriously though give Plax a raise. Javon Walker is making some big money next year and frankly I don't see his Super Bowl ring. Plaxico is underpaid and was a leader of that Giants team. He barely practiced all year but was still able to give solid performances on Sundays.
Shockey is another story though, I don't understand what he wants. Does he want more credit for being an excellent TE or does he just want out of New York. He plays with heart, passion and unlike other great pass catching Tight Ends he takes pride in his blocking. I say that they shouldn't give in but rather let him have his starting job back after threatening him with starting Kevin Boss. I think Jeremy will be motivated to help Big Blue repeat and for him to get a ring.
I was on the Giants website and looking at the pictures of the new stadium. The Stadium looks like it will be truly one of the best, possibly better than University of Phoenix or Lucas Oil which is slated to open for the Colts for this season.
Get ready BIG BLUE NATION for a great training camp period coming in a month at SUNY Albany.

No comments: